A 48 year old California woman reportedly acquired life-threatening meningitis from marijuana contaminated with fungus.
Dr. Bryan Shapiro explains in a case study published in the British Medical Journal that she contracted Cryptococcus neoformans from her 3-6 joint-a-day smoking habit.
Crytococcus infections can commonly affect those who are immunosuppressed, but this patient was believed to be relatively healthy.
Her symptoms included feeling fatigued and dizzy but began getting combative, reportedly assaulting a coworker. She eventually was seen at Cedars of Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where they tested the cerebral spinal fluid surrounding the brain, revealing the life threatening fungus.
After she was successfully treated, Dr. Shapiro investigated the dispensary in Bakersfield from where she purchased her marijuana. Nine samples tested positive for the fungus.
Its been established that marijuana leaves are contaminated with pesticides, chemicals and mold.
This is one of the first cases reported of one acquiring meningitis from marijuana use.
This is a developing story.
Daliah Wachs, MD, FAAFP is a nationally syndicated radio personality on GCN Network, iHeart Radio and Board Certified Family Physician