A 20-year-old student this week “lost” her sight for 2 hours after getting eye lash extensions at a salon.
Megan Rixon tweeted on October 19th she visited a new salon in the UK and within hours suffered a severe allergic reaction to the glue, she claims was nail glue.
She tweeted: Girls be very very careful where you get your eyelashes done!!I got my individuals done today somewhere new and it turns out they used nail glue on my lashes. I genuinely lost my sight for 2 hours. Thankfully the swelling has gone down, but there still very sore. Be careful😭
She urges everyone to have a “glue test”, to test for sensitivity and to ask the technician to show you the actual glue being used.
Skin experts are warning that chemicals used in acrylic and gel nail polish may induce an allergic reaction.
Methacrylates appear to be the culprit, causing rash and itching not only in the fingers but other parts of the body, including genitalia. Some may experience losing their nail after a reaction.
Once the immune system is triggered, allergic symptoms could surface in other parts of the body.
The British Association of Dermatologists warns 2.4% of the population could be at risk.
The nail industry is a multibillion dollar industry with hundreds of thousands of customers each year.
Methacrylates are used in a variety of industries in adhesives, plastics, paints and even medical and dental devices.
Eyelash glue and home nail kits can also expose users to methacrylate. Many have reported allergic reactions of their eyelid after having lash extensions applied.