Image above from BBC
Warning: Graphic Content Below
The mother of a 9 year-old boy is raising money for a prosthetic eye after her son sustained two severe injuries from a Nerf gut accident.
When Taylor-Jay Ravicini of Swansea in Wales was 3, he was accidentally shot in the eye by a Nerf gun bullet that caused a traumatic hyphema, or bleeding within the anterior chamber of the eye. Although doctors were able to save the eye, news.com.au reports a second injury occurred in August resulting in loss of the eye.
In the report, his 35 year-old mother states:
“What are the chances of an accident happening twice in the same eye?”
“I was downstairs and I heard a devastating scream and my heart sunk, I couldn’t even go to see him, I sent my partner as I knew something had happened.
“Taylor’s eye was full of blood and it was causing a build up of pressure.
“Doctors told us that he risked losing sight in both eyes if we didn’t remove the damaged one.”
Doctors have long recommended using eyewear, such as goggles, to protect oneself from the forceful projectile caused by the toy’s spring apparatus.
Children inadvertently mistake the soft foam bullets and arrows for something benign, not realizing the speed and force can cause severe blunt injury.
Taylor’s GoFundMe page can be found here.
Daliah Wachs, MD, FAAFP is a nationally syndicated radio personality on GCN Network, KDWN, and iHeart Radio.